Try these astounding experiments to trick your body and brain.
Vilaynur Ramachandran, the world-renowned neurologist, has used these experiments to investigate phantom limb pain.
More details about how your brain perceives your body can be found in two other parts of this website:
The dancers brain
The Pinocchio experiment with body image
- Find 2 willing (and good) friends
- Sit on a chair blind-folded, and ask your friend (let’s call her Sam) to sit on a chair in front of you, with her back to you.
- Ask your other friend to take your right hand and put it on Sam’s nose
- Tap and stroke her nose in a gentle random manner, making exactly identical movements with your other hand, on your own nose.
- Continue this for 60 seconds.
About 50% of people will have the extremely odd sensation that their nose is 3 feet long, or somehow their nose is elsewhere!